Monday 20 September 2021
  • :
  • :

Contact Details T: 086 8903154 Email : oshea_jp@hotmail.com

8 Cork towns and villages benefit from Town and Village Renewal Scheme – Boherbue & Fermoy in North Cork

8 Cork towns and villages benefit from Town and Village Renewal Scheme – Boherbue & Fermoy in North Cork
The Minister for Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, Heather Humphreys TD recently announced that 172 towns and villages across the country are set to benefit from €10 million in funding under the 2016 Town and Village Renewal Scheme.
€380,000 of this €10m was allocated to Cork County Council from this scheme to cover 85% of the cost of the project. Cork County Council is to fund the remainder 15%. One village/town was chosen from each Municipal District in County Cork as part of this scheme. The towns and villages in County Cork approved for funding under the 2016 Town & Village Renewal Scheme are as follows:

Municipal District      Town/Village:                                   Project:                                Scheme Allocation:    CCC Allocation:      Total:

 

Kanturk/Mallow MD – Boherbue Village –  Walkway/Footpath from village to Graveyard –      €47,500                      €8,500                 €56,000

Fermoy  MD –            Fermoy Town –                   Upgrade works to Abbey Street –               €47,500                      €8,500                 €56,000

West Cork MD –        Dunmanway Town –             Sam Maguire Tourist Trail –                       €47,500                      €8,500                 €56,000

Bandon/Kinsale MD –    Bandon Town –       Creation of public amenity at Bandon Bridge –   €47,500                      €8,500                 €56,000

East Cork MD –      Ballymacoda/Lady’sbridge –        Walway to the Long Acre –                    €47,500                      €8,500                 €56,000

Cobh MD –                     Carrigtwohill –    Relocation of playground/ Market Place works –    €47,500                      €8,500                 €56,000

Ballincollig/Carrigaline MD – Passage West –    Retail & Devlopment Plan & walkway –          €47,500                      €8,500                 €56,000

Blarney/Macroom MD – Blarney –                    Interactive Sculpture of Chieftain McCarthy –  €47,500                      €8,500                 €56,000

 

Commenting on the announcement of funding, North Cork Independent Councillor John Paul O’ Shea said “Our towns and villages are the heart of our rural communities, but many of them are still recovering from the economic downturn. The Town and Village Renewal Scheme is one way of helping to create this recovery and to breath life back into our rural towns and villages. I know the village of Boherbue will be extremely happy to find out that monies have been allocated to put a footpath in place from the village to the graveyard in the village. I sincerely hope the Government and Minister Humphreys will stick to their commitment now and secure increased funding for the scheme for 2017 so other villages and towns can benefit in future years”.

 

The funding allocated in 2016 is being used for a wide variety of projects, identified by Local Authorities in conjunction with local community groups and businesses, including improving playgrounds and footpaths, tourism amenities, public art pieces and a wide range of works to improve the streetscape and public realm of towns and villages nationwide, to help make them more attractive and more sustainable places in which to live and work.