North Cork Independent Cllr. John Paul O’ Shea today, 28th April 2015, gave his full support to Cork County Council’s Capital Programme for 2015. The programme which spreads across a number of key core service areas of the Council will have an overall expenditure of just over €126m for 2015.
Commenting on the programme, Cllr. O’ Shea who is also Chairman of the Kanturk/Mallow Municipal District said “Today’s announcement is a very welcomed one for the people of Cork County and in particular for the Kanturk/Mallow Municipal District. I hope with this positive announcement today, we can now advance a number of key projects right across the District over the coming year”.
The funding of the Capital Programme comes from a number of sources, principally:
· Government Grants
· Development Contributions
· Internal Capital Receipts
· Provisions in the Revenue Budget.
As in 2014, the driving forces for the 2015 Programme are available funding and the need to comply with any contractual obligations. Budget submission for Capital Programme 2015 is €126.3m. However as the year progresses, other projects that are deemed necessary may be undertaken once an adequate source of funding has been identified.
Key points from the agreed Capital Programme approved today are as follows:
· Total Housing Expenditure – €27.3m which includes:
o Provision to proceed with a number of social housing construction programmes which will be announced in the coming weeks.
o Progressing a mix of acquisitions, turnkey developments
o Work on vacant boarded up houses
o Entering into further leasing & RAS Schemes
o Specific allocation of €250,000 for the purpose of supplementing central government funding due for housing adaptations on council houses for current tenants.
· Total Roads Expenditure – €51.4m which includes:
o Buttevant Streetscape Works which Cork County Council is contributing €900,000 towards the overall cost of the scheme
o Continuation of €1m fund for replacement of footpaths in the County
o Commencement of final design for Mallow Boardwalk
o €3.9m in fleet investment including new salters, gritters and velocity patchers
o Funding to support Gateway Scheme currently in operation within Kanturk/Mallow Municipal District
o Improvement to Car Park facilities in Mallow
· Specific new provision of additional €400,000 for new public lighting in urgent/dangerous locations
· Continued funding for energy related improvements and replacement of old public lighting
· €1.6m in funding for the development of new cemeteries in the County including the development of new graveyard in Glantane and purchase of lands for a new graveyard in Dromina
· 8.5m spend on Recreation & Amenity Services
· €2.6m in Economic Development in order to boost economic growth within the county
· €800,000 for the taking in charge of 91 estates within the County
Cllr. O’ Shea added “The Capital Programme for 2015 is a significant sum of money in the current economic climate and demonstrates the council’s impact on growth and employment. The progression of the Programme is based on existing capital commitments and as the year progresses consideration will be given to commencing other schemes where they are deemed necessary and where adequate funding sources are in place”.