The Cork County Council Annual Mayor’s Community Awards ceremony will take place at County Hall, Cork on Tuesday 29th April 2014.
The awards scheme was inaugurated in 2013 when the overall winner was Matt Murphy, Sherkin Island Marine Station.
The Mayor’s Community Awards Scheme was developed to acknowledge people who work on a voluntary basis to help others, to acknowledge publicly the work of volunteers and to recognise communities that work together.
Nominations from Community/Voluntary groups and Individuals were made by the Members of Cork County Council and Cork County Community and Voluntary Forum.
Following a judging process, the short listed nominees have now been invited to attend the presentation ceremony. The shortlisted nominees are as follows:
- Banteer Community Sportsfield
- Bweeng Community Hall & Grounds Committee
- Castletownroche Tidy Towns
- Catherine Thornhill, Killavullen
- Eamonn Horgan, Doneraile
- Ian Doyle, Newtownshandrum
- Kathleen Moylan, Kanturk
- Kevin Roche, Banteer
- Kildorrery Community Dev. Ltd.
- Mallow Development Partnership
- Mitchelstown Youth Cafe
- Racing Home for Easter Festival, Mallow
- Triona O’Flynn – Liam’s Lifts, Fermoy
- Bengour Harvest Festival Cancer Support, Lissarda
- Carrigaline Family Support Centre
- Carrigtwohill Family Resource Centre
- Clondrohid Community Recreational Facilities Ltd.
- Coiste Tithe Uibh Laoire Teo, Béal Átha an Ghaorthaidh
- Deirdre Nagle, Carrigaline Youth Initiative
- Denis Murphy, Glanmire
- Inniscarra Special Olympics Club
- Louise O’Keeffe, Bandon
- St. Senan’s Friendly Society, Vicarstown
- Kilmeen Drama Group, Rossmore
Criteria used to assess the groups and individuals included:
- Community Participation
- Social Inclusion
- Evidence of developing links with surrounding areas
- Contribution to care of built and natural environment or appearance of the area
- Sustainability – contribution to enterprise and economic development of the area
- Involvement with the local authority, local businesses and local agencies;
North Cork Independent Cllr. John Paul O’ Shea said ” Eleven awards will be made on the night including three from each division – North Cork, South Cork and West Cork. In addition there will be one overall Community & Voluntary Group award and one overall Individual award from within these nine award recipients. I am looking forward to a wonderful night where community and voluntary leaders within our communities are acknowledged for their dedication and commitment over the years”.