Five towns and villages within the Kanturk/Mallow Municipal District is to benefit from Cork County Council’s 2015 Public Lighting Programme. A total of €400,000 of funding has been set aside countywide for a public lighting programme with €52,400 being allocated to the Kanturk/Mallow Municipal District.
Welcoming the allocation of funding to the specific towns and villages, Chairman of the Kanturk/Mallow Municipal District Cllr. John Paul O’ Shea (Ind) said “This announcement is very welcomed news and will go some way in addressing the gaps in our public lighting network we currently have in the District. Works will include the installation of new lighting and replacement of old and dull lights. This year is the first year since 2009 since Cork County Council has had a dedicated Public Lighting Programme. Thsi was simply down to financial constraints on the council and the need for us to review the network that was in existence”.
Public Lighting improvement works will take place in the following areas:
- Liscarroll: 10 lights – Extend lighting from Community Centre to new housing development by Liscarroll Housing Association and replace old dull lights around Liscarroll
- Mallow Town: 3 lights – Fair St., and upgrade junction of New Road and Spa Glen
- Kilbrin: 4 lights – Install infill lights on road from junction in village to just opposite the entrance to Garran Na Dara Estate along the existing footpath
- Kanturk: 1 light – Light to be provided opposite Kanturk Community Hospital entrance to light up remainder of footpath in front of Aisling Gheal Estate
- Freemount: 9 lights – Upgrade of existing lights on Church Hill, Freemount.
Cllr. O’ Shea added “These works will improve greatly the specific areas in our District. While there is many more towns and villages that cold benefit from funding for the replacement and additional public lighting, this is a very good start and it is my view and intention to seek more funding in the coming months to continue this vital work for the people living within the Kanturk/Mallow Municipal District. I also want to compliment the staff involved in Public Lighting for their efforts in preparing this programme for 2015”.