Mayor of the County of Cork, Cllr Declan Hurley hosted a Mayoral Reception in County Hall to formally recognise a number of significant achievements from groups and individuals across Cork County. On the night, the Mayor awarded:-
· Cody Barrett – Passage West – Gold Medal Winner World Karate Championships (Under 9).
· Pat Kinevane – Cobh – Winner 2016 Laurance Oliver Award for Outstanding achievement in Affiliate Theatre
· Irish Naval Crew on board the L.E. EITHNE – The LE Eithne has been assisting the Italian Authorities with humanitarian search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean since May 2017 and to date has rescued approximately 1,620 men, women and children.
· Shandrum Ceilí Band (Freemount Comhaltas Group) – 3 in a row All Ireland Senior Ceili Band Champions – first in Fleadh history.
· Crossfield Ceili Band U15(Freemount Comhaltas Group) – won their first U15 All Ireland Ceili Band Championship at Fleadh
· James Deane Killavullen – Won the Formula Drift World Championship Cup recently
· St Mary’s Secondary School Mallow – Four girls on winning Munster School Senior Championships 200m Swimming relay
· Mairead Martin, Kanturk – toast of Irish Ladies Golf when she ripped the field apart to win the Irish Girls Close Championships at Mallow.
· Cork Ladies Football – All Ireland Ladies Football Minor A Championship
· Palace Players, Kilworth (Danny Buckley) – crowned champions in the Open Section of the Drama League of Ireland One Act Festival
· Banteer Juvenile Badminton Club won the Badminton Ireland Club of the year for 2017
· Ditch Your Carbon Cup Print Carol Merrick, Charleville CBS – Education awareness campaign aimed at changing people’s attitude to replacing the paper cup with environmentally friendly alternatives
· Kanturk GAA – All-Ireland Intermediate Club Championship
· Crossfield Ceilí Band U18 (Freemount Comhaltas Group)- Under 18 All Ireland Champions (Also 3 in a row)
· Joey Shaw (Taekwondo) – Joey is only 11 years old and has been practicing Taekwondo for last 6½ years under the watchful eye of Master Paul Delea and is a 4th Kup (Blue Belt).
· Ballinspittle Comhaltas won the All Ireland Fleadh Cheoil Music Group Award in Ennis in August 2017
· Relentless Crew – From December 2017 to January 2018, the Relentless Crew raced across the Atlantic Ocean competing in the Talisker Whiskey Atlantic Challenge
· Knocknagree GAA – All Ireland Junior Club Football Champions
· James Sugrue – Mallow – Golfer – captured prestigious South of Ireland Amateur Open Championship at Lahinch Golf Club in July 2017
Speaking at the reception, Mayor Hurley warmly welcomed all to County Hall while acknowledging the incredible accolades achieved across range of people and groups throughout Cork, “I am truly delighted to host such an evening and congratulate each of the recipients, from my own behalf, on behalf of all the members and staff at Cork County Council and from the people of County Cork on these wonderful achievements and on the pride they have bought to their families, communities and county. They have displayed remarkable dedication to their respective interests and this reception is an acknowledgement of their recent efforts and achievements.”
Chief Executive of Cork County Council, Tim Lucey reiterated the sentiments of Mayor Hurley and went on to say, “As a Council we are always striving to support and encourage participation across any form of sport or activity and enable such talent which is clearly evident across tonight’s recipients.”