The National Transport Authority (NTA) is proposing to improve the level of service on Route 243 (operated by Bus Éireann) and would like to hear your views. This enhancement is part of the Connecting Ireland Rural Mobility Plan which is a major national public transport initiative developed and funded by the National Transport Authority (NTA) as part of the Transport for Ireland (TFI) Network.
The purpose of the amendment is to provide the following:
- Significantly improved level of service and hours of operation of services along the corridor between Newmarket and Cork City;
- Addition of later evening services throughout the week;
- Improvement in the weekend service where the NTA considers there is latent passenger demand for travel by bus;
- Improved connections with the rail service in Mallow; and
- Significant increase in bus services operating in small rural settlements along the route, including Grenagh, Bweeng and Dromahane.
This route is proposed to be amended in early 2024.
Details of Proposal
The NTA proposes to amend Route 243 as follows:
- Route 243 service will operate on the Newmarket – Kanturk – Mallow – Dromahane – Bweeng – Grenagh – Sluggera Cross – Cork City alignment. This would operate four times per day per direction Monday to Sunday.
- Additional feeder services will operate on the Newmarket – Kanturk – Mallow alignment, providing an additional 5 services per day per direction Monday to Sunday on the corridor between Newmarket and Mallow.
- In total, there will be 9 services per day per direction between Newmarket and Mallow. These services will operate from early morning to late evening and will provide onward connections to rail, local bus and regional bus services in Mallow.
- The existing morning and evening peak service on the Charleville – Ballyhea – Buttevant – Newtwopothouse – Mallow – Rathduff – Cork alignment will be retained and will be provided with a new route number (519).
To make an online submission, please click on “+ MAKE A SUBMISSION” button on the website –
Alternatively, please make a written submission to this address:
Route 243 Consultation,
Transport Service Planning,
National Transport Authority,
Dublin D02 WT20.